Saturday, August 24, 2013

Mumbai photojournalist gang-rape: two suspects sent to police custody till Aug 30

Mumbai, August 24, 2013(7STARNEWS)The Mumbai Police today arrested Vijay Jadhav, the second accused in the Mumbai photojournalist gang-rape case. The two accused, Jadhav and Sattar have been sent to police custody till August 30.

Police arrested Jadhav at 3am on Saturday morning in the gang-rape which has sparked outrage and protests across the country, based on an information.

Identified as Vijay Jadhav, a Dombivali resident, the accused was reportedly arrested from a video parlour in Mumbai's Madanpura. Both the accused will be produced before the Bhoiwada magistrate court later on Saturday. Three other accused -- Qasim Bengali, Saleem and Ashfaq-- are still at large.

Additional commissioner of police, crime, Niket Kaushik confirmed Jadhav\'s arrest. He confirmed that Vijay Jadhav was arrested by crime branch team from Nagpada brought to Unit 3 of crime branch at 3am.

Vijay Jadhav is school dropout, unemployed and lives with his two elder brothers.

Out on an assignment, the photojournalist was raped in a deserted textile mill in central Mumbai on Thursday evening after the five accused assaulted and tied her male colleague.

Twenty police teams, including 10 from the crime branch, are tracking their three other accomplices, all of whom have been identified and are aged between 18 and 20.

On Friday afternoon, the police had arrested Chand Abdul Sattar who lives at Dhobi Ghat, close to the mill. He was on Saturday morning produced before a court which remanded him to police custody till August 30.

The five men, all school dropouts, were jobless and visited the mill often. Two even have robbery cases registered against them.

\"The police prepared sketches based on the statement of the victim and the witness and made an arrest,\" Singh said.

The state government has said the case will be fast-tracked and offered services of Ujjwal Nikam as the lawyer to fight the woman\'s case.

The woman and her colleague were doing a photo-shoot at the compound between 6 and 6.30pm when they were accosted by two suspects. They questioned the duo about their presence on the railway property and were soon joined by their accomplices.

In a chilling reminder of the horrific December gang-rape case in Delhi last year, the woman\'s colleague was badly beaten up and tied by the perpetrators before she was raped. The victim has been admitted to Jaslok Hospital and underwent a minor surgical procedure on Friday. She is recovering well and is in stable condition, Mumbai Police said on Saturday.

Meanwhile, the assault has fuelled protests all over India and unruly scenes were witnessed in the Parliament on Friday.

News From:

No comments:

eXTReMe Tracker